Sunday, August 15, 2010

Thrifty update on lightfixtures

So while the weather is still cooperative, I thought I would share how I updated the light fixtures in my house.

My 1995 house came equip with brass light fixtures, door knobs and hinges. I HATED them. I longed for "brushed nickel" fixtures and even priced some. Long story short, they were WAY over priced for me. So I decided to try something a little more "thrifty". So I went to Wal-mart and bought a few cans of spray paint and primer:
Here's what I did:
  1. TURN OFF THE ELECTRIC BREAKER TO THE LIGHT FIXTURE
  2. Take fixture off the wall and transport outside to where you will be painting it.
  3. Remove any glass sections of the fixture and tape off any areas you don't want painted
  4. Lightly sand the metal areas. Just "rough it up" a bit. It helps the paint stick
  5. Spray an even, light coat of primer over all the metal you want painted. **The trick to spray paint is you can always add another coat. If you apply it too thick the first time, it WILL run.
  6. Once the primer is dry (it dries REALLY fast) apply a coat of paint that you have chosen. I used the Rust-oleum Hammered pictured above. Make sure it's a metal paint. (again, you can always add another coat of paint)
That's it! Your done!
Here is an idea of what my lights looked like before: (I didn't take before photos)





1990's don't you think?







And here is the after:
















Don't they look AWESOME!!?

I LOVED how they turned out so much that I decided to "de-brass" my entire house! Door knobs, screen door kick strips, hinges....if it was brass, it had to go.

It's amazing how a coat of paint can transform a run down item into something new and beautiful. (see my kitchen table post here)
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. It does look AWESOME. paint fixes everything, in my humble opinion! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my exterior ugly brass light fixture is exactly like yours. I need to buy some paint and get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You can do it!!" It's not hard at all. Just remember to shut off your breaker before taking the light fixtures out of the ceiling. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.