Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup with homemade noodles





I often find veggie trays like this on clearance at my local Smith's.  This one was $3.49.  I only buy them when I find them on clearance.  My kids and husband eat most of them (notice I didn't say myself....not a veggie fan).  When it gets to the point that they will not eat anymore of it, I chop up the carrots and celery to use in Chicken Noodle soup.
I make home made noodles for this dish.  They are VERY easy to make and taste SO MUCH better then store bought noodles!   The recipe is easy:
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 to 1/3 cup of milk

Mix flour, salt egg and milk until you produce a slightly sticky ball of dough.  Flour the counter and roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. (they puff up when they are cooked)  Cut noodles (I use a pizza cutter) and place on wax paper.  Let noodles dry out for at least 1 hour.  Add to soup 30 minutes before serving
 Toss your diced carrots and celery into a crock pot with diced cooked chicken and some chicken stock. 






I used 1/2 this carton in with the veggies and the other 1/2 in with the noodles. I also added a little water so I had enough to cook the noodles in.
I cook the noodles on the stove top until they are done.  Then I dumped the entire pan...noodles and stock...in the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.  I've never tried to cook the noodles in the crock pot, I don't think they will work....might get all soft and gooey.
I seasoned with a little garlic salt and some Italian seasoning.  To taste, no measurements here. :)
YUM!  You know it's good when my kids eat it!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.