Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thrifty Vinyl transfer paper

I made this sign for the inside of my front door.  We are having a few issues with one of my boys "Thinking Positive" so I thought a cute little reminder on the front door as we all leave the house would be nice. :)

I got a Cricut Expressions last week.  YAY!  My friend told me about some software online, so I purchased and downloaded that and started cutting some vinyl sayings today.

I bought my black vinyl at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.  I know I can find it cheaper, but I was anxious to try it out.

I was also told that I needed to purchase "transfer paper" in order to get the image on the wall.  I did some research on other options since a roll of transfer paper is even more expensive then the vinyl.  I found quite a few places that said you can use contact paper both as vinyl & transfer paper.  So.....

I purchased a roll of clear Contact paper and gave it a shot.  It worked perfectly!  The entire roll cost me $5.99 at Target.  At Hobby Lobby transfer paper it was $9.99 and there was 1/2 as much as on the roll of contact paper!  WOOT! WOOT!!  I don't think I will have to purchase any more contact paper for a while. ;)
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I have got to know what the trick is with contact paper! I have tried it SO many times with my cricut and it's just too sticky! I can't get the vinyl letters to come off of it no matter how hard I rub them! I bought some transfer paper off Jill's Vinyl (I think that's what it's called), but when that runs out I might go back and try contact paper again! Also, just a tip, I buy my vinyl at a local sign shop and they sell it to me for $2/ft.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for the tip on vinyl! I'm a "newbie" and can use all the tips I can get. :)

    Maybe the contact paper you used was a better quality then what I got. My letters came right off. I wonder if Dollar Tree would have some contact paper that would work. I bet it would be "sticky enough" to use for one transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear that sticking the contact paper to your shirt or couch first will de-sticky it enough for ease of use with vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using clear contact paper I got from wallmart. It works fine as far as transferring the vinyl or other contact paper but leaves the vinyl sticky after I pull it off. Anybody else have problems with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine doesn't leave a stickyness but it is a little difficult to get the letters off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dollar Tree does have it just bought two rolls:). Size of roll is 18 in. x 1.5 yd for $1. It is super sticky you just have to work with it and rub lightly. No problem even with small letters.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.