Monday, June 6, 2011

DIY Thrifty Framed Art Makeover

I've had some Disney lithographs hanging in our spare bedroom aka "toy room" for years.  They were all framed in a collection of wooden frames I bought from Walmart.  We two toned the walls a few years ago and I've been meaning to paint the frames black and update the look of that room.  My kids are past the little kid Disney phase.
So on our trip to Hawaii last year, we shopped at Hilo Haiti and I found some calendars (from the previous year) that were on clearance for 3/$1.  They had beautiful flower pictures in them, so I bought 3 of them.

Here are the frames before:

I primed and painted the picture frames with a black matte paint

I took the calendar apart and framed the entire page on a piece of black poster board. (I was able to cut 4 11X14 pieces from 1 poster board)  Then I used scrapbook photo mount squares to attach the images to the poster board.


 I think they turned out stunning!

Total Cost $6.83:
Paint and primer about $5
Calendar $0.33
Poster board $1.50

Come link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday each Thursday at www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

I'm partying here:
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. very nicely done love the frames in the black and the pictures look great in them very dressed up come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I have been up to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from Sugar Bee Crafts. Love your frame redo :) Would love to have you link it up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now on my blog. :)

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find - those flowers are gorgeous in your re-done frames! So glad I followed your link from the Nifty Thrifty Things Link Party, I've also linked up if you want to stop in.
    Hugs, antonella :-)
    http://quilling.blogspot.com/2011/06/filigree-friday-free-fathers-day-badges.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love black frames! Thanks for stopping by to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures look great in the black frames! Great job!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    Hope to see you again this weekend!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! You have such a cute blog. I get so much inspiration from your blog.

    Your newest follower,
    Abby
    i---create.blogspot.com
    (come check it out?)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.