Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Terracotta Soldier

Photobucket
My Grandma made me this when I first got married.  He's my favorite Christmas decoration. My kids know they go no where near my soldier. ;) I thought I'd show you a few photos so you can see how thrifty this little Terracotta Soldier is.

He is made of 5 Terracotta pots.  The orange kind you can find at any store during the summer.  You can use any size.  Mine has big pots so he stands about 2 feet tall.
  • 2 are black, 
  • one is blue, 
  • one is red
  • one is peach on the front and black on the back (where his hair is)
Photobucket
She painted every pot and let it dry.  She used Quarters to trace the size of his cheeks.  His eyes are half a quarter for the black and half a quarter plus a little for the whites. His nose is 1/2 a nickel.  She had a pattern for his face, but that was 14 years ago so who knows where it is now. (truth be told she could probably tell me right where it is at her house if I asked.) ;)
 Photobucket
She attached the pots open ends together with a TON of hot glue.  He hasn't fallen apart yet! :)  Then she added ribbon, felt arms, and a few little accents.

I've made a few of these with the little pots and they turned out so cute!
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a CUTE idea! I'm going to have to scoop up a bunch of terra cotta pots when they're on sale for next Christmas. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adoraable. What a great idea. I saw you featured on House of Hepworths! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome!! I didnt even realize they were pots at first. I would love for you to share this at my special holiday linky party going on right now! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/12/12-days-of-christmas-holiday-linky.html

    Happy Holidays to you and yours!!
    ~Nikki ...xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.