Monday, January 28, 2013

5 Tips to keep your spending under control all year long


How are your New Years Resolutions going? I wrote this article for an online website, I thought I'd share it again as we wrap up the first month of 2013.

"5 Tips to keep your spending under control all year long"
Financial management is a New Year's Resolution for many people.  Goals need to be specific in order to be obtainable and simply "spending less this upcoming year" is too broad of a goal. In order to be in control of our finances, we must first have a change of attitude.  I've created a list of 5 small changes that can help you have a change of attitude about your finances.
  1. Make a list of priorities in your life and post it where you can see it daily.  Before making any purchases ask yourself "How does this purchase fit into my priority list?"  If it doesn't, then it's not worth spending money on.
  2. Before purchasing small things, think about how the money you spend now could  be used on something more important to you.  That daily Diet Coke or coffee adds up over time.
  3. Break purchases into per use cost.  This will give you a long term perspective on what it costs to own this item.
  4. Purchase only what you need.  Just because you find an amazing deal on something, doesn't mean you have to clear the shelf of that item.
  5. Simplify your life. Declutter and clean your space.  You might find things you previously bought that you forgot you had.  This will save you time and money because you won't be buying duplicates.
Managing your money is a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix.  Take a step back and look at the big picture of your life before you make any purchases.  Ask yourself if this purchase fits into your priority list.  We all want to live our best life and what better way to do that then to focus on the things that are most important to us?  In the end, it's not the things that matter.


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tips Michelle, I have recently decided to not go back to work next year so I can stay home with my little ones. Though I am excited to be a stay-at-home Mommy, I am worried that we won't have that second income anymore to keep us "comfortable." Hence why I have really caught the thrifty bug and am going to be very careful on what we spend from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's doable Heather! Don't sweat it. I have a small second income working for my father-in-laws business, and my husband is a teacher. We make it through just fine. :)Just keep on top of it and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shared you on FB!

    Thanks for the link party, really enjoyed it. :)

    Mark

    @FinanceOutpost.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.