Friday, November 5, 2010

Wedding Cake flowers

As I stated in my last post, I made my sisters wedding cake for her reception today. And with that, I actually got to make the flowers to go along with it! I've done wedding cake flowers before (See the top left of Thrifty101 home page for a link to Michelle's Cake Creations.) I've done silk flowers and real flowers, but this time I took pictures of the process.

To start off you will need:
  • Flowers and greenery. Choose large bloom and smaller "filler" flowers
  • Styrofoam balls cut in half (1/2 for each tier)
  • Wire cutters or wire cutting pliers
  • Something the diameter of the cakes so you can decide how big the flowers need to be. Since I made the cake, I just used the cake pans.
To start off, cut all the flowers off of the bunch stem.Start with the large flowers, and spread them out evenly around the Styrofoam 1/2 ball. All you do is push the wire stem into the Styrofoam. As you can see in the diagram below, my largest blooms were red and yellow roses. *In order to do this, you will need to trim down the stems with your wire cutters. They will need to be 2" or so depending on your final shape of the piece.

I got a little caught up in the "creative process" and forgot to take photos of this part. (sorry)

If you compare the drawing on the left to the final piece on the right, you can see red in the middle and at about 12, 5 and 7 o'clock. You can also see yellow at about 10, 2 and 6 o'clock






The next step is to take your smaller "filler flowers" and greenery and fill in any empty spaces. My fillers were the purple flowers and the greenery. *Silk flowers often come with greenery on them. Do not discard this greenery, you can use it as a filler!




I think they flowers turned out great! Here is the final pieces:
Bottom Tier
Middle Tier
Top tier

You can see I used a beach towel and sat on the floor to do this project. The whole process took me about 2 hours to complete. I'll post the cake in it's entirety on Michelle's Cake Creations page this weekend, so take a look over there!  Here is a taste of the final cake:
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.