Saturday, February 19, 2011

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure


Breast Cancer awareness is a cause very dear to my heart.


I lost my Grandmother (Donna) (right) to Breast Cancer 2 weeks after I turned 11.  I remember her being very involved with us as kids and she was always very happy.  I also remember her being very sick and having to lie down in the hospital bed in her front room.  She was only 58.

On a more positive note, my Aunt (Donna) is a Breast Cancer survivor,  as is my husband's grandmother, and millions of other strong women around the world. 

Prevention is the cure and knowledge and awareness are the tools.

That's why every year my family and I participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  We form the team "Donna's Diva's" in memory of my grandmother and in celebration of my Aunt.  They have signs at the race you can wear that say either "In Memory of" or "In Celebration of" so we grab a few of each and pass them around and pin them on.
In Salt Lake City the race is always the Saturday of Mother's day weekend.  This year it's May 7th.

I encourage everyone to see when the race is in their area.  You can find local events in your area HERE.  

This event is the most moving thing I've ever participated in.  This will be our 6th year participating.  To see different families and groups that have been affected by this disease all uniting for a cure is amazing.  The sights, signs, photos and banner are overpowering.  It really is a great cause.  If you care to donate, you can do so HERE.

Registration for the Salt Lake City Race for the Cure is now open.  Click HERE to register.  There is a 5K walk/run and a 1 mile run/walk

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every single one.